Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Return to Uni

One of the perks of the redundancy package was a substantial training allowance.  I have been scouring the internet in search of options on how to use it up.  Nice dilemma to have I guess.

It isn't enough to cover a Masters, nor do I have the time or inclination to do one at the moment.  But what I did find was a Post Graduate Certificate in International Relations.  I also managed to find a Post Graduate Certificate in Business that was burried amongst my academic transcripts!  The degree was obviously more important, as I framed it and hung it on the office wall.  Not such an illustrious end for the next one!

Four subjects, about a year part time I guess.  Seems to fit in with life at the moment, it is a little quiet in the evenings.  The life of a contractor means that when the day ends, I clock off.  No evening work, no burning desire to do 60 hour weeks when you are only charging for 40.

Contracting is also a dilemma at present.  The hours are great, the pay is good and the roles are dead boring.  Definitely can tick off that goal to reduce stress this year!  I miss being part of developing a strategy and working with a team to achieve our goals.  Contracting can be a tad lonely, often the surrounding people are pleasant but not overly friendly.  I guess they think that you are a short term arrival, or even worse that you are here to encroach on their roles or future positions.

As I ended one role and started the contracting gigs the very next working day, I still have a redundancy payment sitting in the bank.  This provides a great sense of financial comfort, and the count down of 51 days to go for this role doesn't seem to bother me.  I spend my days and nights on the look out for the next opportunity, happy knowing that it will arrive when it is meant to.

No comments:

Post a Comment